Welcome to another drawing tutorial. This time I will teach you how to draw a deer in a realistic style. I will teach you how you can draw a cool looking deer in 11 steps. So sharpen your pencil and get ready, because we are going to start drawing now:
STEP 1: DRAW THE BODY
- First of all, you should start drawing the deer’s body. As you can see in the image, the body is basically an irregular oval shape.
STEP 2: DRAW THE FIRST FRONT LEG
- On this second step, we will draw the first front leg. The leg should be divided into 4 parts, as you can see in the image.
STEP 3: DRAW THE SECOND FRONT LEG
- The second front leg will be divided also in 4 parts. This second leg will be drawn straight standing on the ground, meanwhile, the other leg is lifted from the ground creating a slight curve.
STEP 4: DRAW THE FIRST BACKLEG
- Like the front legs, the back legs will be divided into 4 parts. The difference here is the arrangement of the leg will be different.
- Check in the image below how different is the bone structure of the back legs compared to the front legs.
STEP 5: DRAW THE SECOND BACK LEG
- The second back leg will be drawn extended backward, so we can recreate the sensation that the deer is walking.
STEP 6: DRAWING THE DEER´S NECK
- From the front part of the body draw 2 curved parallel lines, that will become narrower on top, where the head will be placed. The neck will have a tube-like shape.
If you are interested in developing your anatomy drawing skills and learn how to draw characters digitally, you should check my drawing video course. You can find more information clicking the image below:
STEP 7: DRAWING THE HEAD & EARS
- The head will be drawn as an oval shape with a cross inside. The horizontal arm will be drawn above the center of the oval, dividing the oval into two uneven parts, the upper part smaller than the lower part. This horizontal arm will help us position the eyes properly later on.
- The vertical arm will divide the oval into two parts, both equal in size.
- The ears will be placed on both sides on top of the head, as you can see in the image.
- As an extra, the tail will be placed on the other side of the body.
STEP 8: DRAWING THE SMALL ANTLERS
- The small antlers on top of the head will be placed in between the ears.
STEP 9: DRAWING THE BIG ANTLERS
- The big antlers will be drawn behind the ears. Both antlers will protrude to the sides with several tips on each side.
STEP 10: DRAWING THE EYES, NOSE AND MOUTH
- The eyes will be drawn along the horizontal arm.
- The nose and the mouth along the vertical line. Both should be placed below the center of the cross between both lines.
STEP 11: DRAWING THE FINAL LINEART
- Now you should draw the final line art on top of the dummy we created on the previous steps. Remember to draw the fur on the body, legs, neck, and head. You can draw the fur drawing little spikes and curves for recreating the tufts of hair.
- Also, in this step, you can add some shading to your drawing. We are going to use some hatching and cross-hatching techniques. You can learn more about these techniques by reading my article on How to shade using a pencil.